Water your landscape more efficiently and save water by converting areas irrigated by spray heads to drip irrigation. Rather than spraying wide areas, drip systems utilize point emitters to deliver water to specific locations at or near plant root zones. Water drips slowly from the emitters either onto the soil surface or below ground. As a result, less water is lost to wind and evaporation, and weed growth is minimized. Drip irrigation systems are very water-efficient and are even customizable for different plant varieties in a small area.
The Spray to Drip Rebate Program is currently available for Orange County residential and commercial customers, with the exception of customers served by the following retail water agencies:
Not Currently Accepting Applications
- City of Anaheim
- Emerald Bay Service District
- City of Fullerton
- City of Garden Grove
- Golden State Water Company
- City of La Palma
- City of Santa Ana
- City of San Juan Capistrano
- Trabuco Canyon Water District
- Moulton Niguel Water District (Residential Customers Not Eligible/Commercial Customers May Apply)
- Santa Margarita Water District (Commercial Customers Not Eligible/Residential Customers May Apply)
- The current residential rebate level is up to $175 per component bundle (kit), and can be applied towards eligible equipment. Each site is eligible for up to three (3) kits. Each kit is able to provide coverage for between 250 and 500 square feet of spray irrigation retrofit.
- Commercial sites may be able to receive $0.20 per square foot of converted area, with a maximum of 45,000 square feet per customer. Contact Spray-to-Drip@mwdoc.com for more information.
- Projects that are underway or already completed prior to the receipt of the “Notice to Proceed” email are not eligible to participate.
- The installed drip irrigation equipment must be listed on the Eligible Products List (found below). Only drip irrigation equipment on the Eligible Products List, as evidenced by the submission of a purchase receipt, will be eligible to receive a rebate. Microspray, point source emitters, and drippers are not rebate eligible under the Program. See samples of non-eligible equipment below under program documents.
- Contractor invoices must include price, SKU/model numbers, manufacturer, and quantities of the rebate-eligible products purchased.
- The conversion must replace standard spray irrigation with drip irrigation.
- A minimum of 250 square feet of irrigated area must be converted to drip irrigation. In addition, for each kit a minimum of 250 square feet must be converted. (For example, if installing one kit, the converted area must be a minimum of 250 square feet. If installing two kits, the minimum converted area must be 500 square feet. For three kits, the minimum converted area must be 750 square feet.)
Steps to Participate
- Complete and submit a Program application. As part of the application process, you will need to upload three to five pre-retrofit pictures of the project area (the photos must be taken with the spray irrigation in use) and a simple site plan sketch. Apply online by clicking: Online Application
- You will be notified by email of your application status and next steps.
- Following installation of the drip kits, return to the Droplet portal to upload post-retrofit pictures of the project area and purchase receipts/invoices for the equipment installed.
- The Program Administrator will then make arrangements to schedule your MANDATORY Post-Inspection to verify the amount of the spray to drip conversion. You must provide the inspectors with full access to the Project site Monday–Friday during daylight hours.
- Eligible Products List
- Examples of Ineligible Drip Equipment
- Spray-to-Drip Program Terms and Conditions
- Drip Tubing Fact Sheet
- Spec Sheet – Example of a Drip Tubing Component Bundle
- Frequently Asked Questions
*A rebate program application and all of the personal information listed in it is public record and will be made available to any member of the public who requests it. By signing a rebate program application, the applicant acknowledges that applicant has no privacy expectations to this information and waives any claim to such.